Family and Work

I've come to realize that I haven't updated this blog in well over 3 years. At this point, I'm not even sure if you can still consider this a blog or if it is now lost to the annuls of the internet. Either way, my lack of updates has left me a bit on the sad side. I've always enjoyed writing for this site and at one time was surprised to see that anyone cared enough to view the results.

So, without being so dour as to explain why I'm interested in bringing back the blog; let me get into an update on what I've been up to for the last few years. Trust me, it's a lot.

Family: 
Since the last time that I was able to write for this blog, I had left my home state of Nebraska to travel to upstate New York and visit Renslear Polytechnic Institute to study for a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering. Unfortunately, that didn't work out so well. Our crappy roach-infested apartment was not a good time. There's something about having to eat soup from a pot with a weight on the lid to keep bugs out that makes you not want to live somewhere. Maybe we were paranoid, but yuck!

Luckily though, this is when we discovered we were going to have our daughter. It was a tough decision, but between my wife and I, we decided to move back to Nebraska and start our new and growing family at the base roots of the place we loved to live, Nebraska. (I guess it's not for everyone, absolutely the silliest slogan ever, but sure; why not. )

Now, five years later, we have our two beautiful children, a nice place to live, good vehicles, and a good life. While leaving New York and the prospects of a Ph.D., there was a blow to my goals in life; that change was really what I needed to wake up and find what's more important, my family.

Work:
Since moving back to Nebraska, I needed a job. My six-month pregnant wife and an expiring health insurance plan with no income was a bit of a stressor. I luckily found a part-time gig at a Radio Shack that was enough to pay our insurance premiums until the university coverage lapsed. Yes, a Master of Science degree and Radio Shack; you have to do what you have to do. Either way, I hit the job hunt hard and after only about 4 weeks of looking, landed my first position in the industry, Neapco LLC.

Zap forward five years, and I love what I do. I've had several good years with my current employer, Neapco. They've sent me international to Poland and Germany a few times to perform testing using equipment I've invented. They've let me try some crazy ideas for inventions that have actually paid off in multitudes; and better yet, I enjoy the people I work with. Not too bad, not too bad at all.

Hotel Spalka: A nice hotel in Poland, I stayed here back in June of 2018.


The Maritim Hotel in Koln: I loved my stay here, I highly recommend the Kolsch beer.

I hope you've enjoyed this small journal entry because that's all I really have time for tonight. I have another trip planned for May of 2019, and I also have been writing as a freelancer for a 3D printing newsletter in Germany. I'm going to check my contract with them, but I'm hoping I can share at least the links to those articles shortly. Additionally, I've found that I enjoy writing creatively,  expect more shortly.

Thanks!
Jacob G.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eibach Springs Being made